WWF Carbon Footprint Calculator

 



As outlined by the Landscape Institute, sustainable design is essential if we are to adapt our environments to a changing climate. To create resilient landscapes for the future, it is critical that we, as designers, understand the impact our projects have on the planet. In order to do this we must better understand the carbon footprint of our work. At university we are encouraged to calculate and consider the embodied carbon of the materials we implement within our design projects. Although, from an academic perspective, I do have experience using online carbon footprint calculators, I have decided to investigate my own carbon footprint in order to understand my personal contribution to the planet.  

Using the WWF Carbon Footprint Calculator I answered a series of questions in order to calculate my personal carbon emissions. The calculator was divided into four sets of questions; food, home, travel and stuff. Upon completing the questionnaire, I discovered that my carbon footprint is 71%, lower than the UK average. 




Interestingly, the carbon calculator provided a breakdown of my results. Given that I don’t own a car and chose to walk everywhere, I was unsurprised to see that travel equates to 0% of my carbon emissions. Regarding diet, my emissions are also rather low as I choose not to eat meat and consciously aim to limit food waste. The highest percentage of my carbon emissions come from my living environment. As a student living in a rented property I am currently unaware of the energy saving measures implemented in my home. However, as I look to move into my own property next year, this is something I must aim to become more aware of. 




Given the current environmental climate, it is critical that we, as a species, become more conscious of the ways in which we can reduce our carbon footprint. The WWF calculator provided a number of valuable tips as to how I can go about doing this in my own life; listed below are a few of the most noteworthy. 


Buy Second Hand:

Purchasing second hand clothing items is both cost-effective and sustainable. In the past, I have shopped and worked at second hand clothing sales in Cheltenham, however, I am yet to explore the charity shops across town. When lockdown restrictions are alleviated a charity shop exploration is definitely on my to-do list!


Eat Less Meat & Dairy:

The meat and dairy industry is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. Although I am vegetarian, and have been for 7 years, I have recently been considering reducing my dairy intake. In order to do this I must begin to find suitable alternatives to traditional products like milk and cheese.  


Make The Switch:

Implementing energy efficient bulbs can save money and reduce carbon emissions. They can last up to 25 times longer than traditional bulbs and use 80% less power to provide the same amount of light. As a landscape architect, this is also something I must consider when implementing lighting schemes across design projects. 


Embrace New Technology: 

Innovative SMART technologies are a great way to monitor your energy usage. Becoming more aware of the energy you use every day can help encourage a more environmentally way of living. When moving into my own home next year this is something I will aim to investigate. 


Eat "In Season":

Purchasing seasonally produced food not only supports the local agricultural economy, it helps to reduce the packaging, transport and high intensity farming process needed to supply out of season foods. Another incentive is that it is often a much cheaper option. Although this is something I paid little attention to before, going forwards I am really excited to research and learn a variety of new seasonal recipes.  

Comments

Popular Posts