5 Minute Sketches


As a landscape architect, the ability to produce quick sketches and hand-drawn visualisations is invaluable. During my time at university, this is a skill I have often struggled to grasp. It is not uncommon for me to spend hours, possibly even days, on a detailed observational sketch. However, I have always admired those who have the skill and confidence to draw under time pressure. 

 

I decided to set myself a task; to purposefully push myself out of my comfort zone. I took my sketchbook to the park, set a timer for five minutes and sketched what I saw. I experimented with fine liner, biro and felt tip marker pen. For me, this was not about producing a finished work of art, rather an exercise to practice drawing without thinking. To simply make marks. 


Not only did this drawing exercise encourage me to sketch quickly, it provided the opportunity to gain confidence drawing in public places; something I have always been reluctant to do. 








Comments

Popular Posts