A Saturday Morning Dérive



The original plan was to grab a coffee and a pastry, find a bench and sit in the park for breakfast. My dream Saturday morning! However, last Saturday, my casual morning stroll evolved into an unplanned amble across Cheltenham. 

 

My exploration began at Sandford Park, an urban garden tucked away from the high street. The entrance was deceiving. Iron gates, a modest brick fountain, a pergola devoid of flowering climbers. Delving deeper into the garden, I was welcomed by a vibrant bed of yellow confetti; daffodils in bloom. Against the green canvas, they were the only splash of colour. 

 



The pathway persuaded me to follow. Although pleasant, the garden itself was rather mundane. The oak trees still bare from winter. However, as I meandered through the park a few notable features attracted my attention. An ornamental water feature cascading towards the River Chelt. Benches carved from tree trunks. A 20thcentury fountain, sat dry and idle. 

 



The park felt peaceful and safe. Dog walkers wandered beside the River. Children ran along the fountain. Joggers passed through on their morning run. I can only imagine the garden on a bright summers day. I must remind myself to return with a sketchbook!

 

Leaving the park, I was impelled to explore the adjacent neighbourhood streets. I drifted towards the tree lined avenue; something about the place felt inviting. Front doors were painted blue and red, windowsills lined with flowers. The traffic however was rather discouraging, and as the road got busier, I decided to return home. 




Passing through the town centre, I purposefully endeavoured to take an unfamiliar route. Drifting along unexplored streets, I noticed a heightened level of awareness for the space around me. The experience inspired me to reflect upon the art of walking without intent. The dérive. Something I had initially been introduced to in my first year at University. 

 

The dérive is a technique of rapid passage through varied ambiances, introduced by Guy Debord, founding member of the Situationist International. In simpler terms, it is an unplanned journey through an urban environment in which one allows themselves to be guided by the attractions they encounter. 

 

From an urban design perspective, the derive allows designers to explore cities in a revolutionary way; to creatively reflect upon space and place. For me, the derive was a mindful experience. Drifting through Cheltenham without motive or expectation allowed me to fully immerse myself within the urban landscape. 

 

As a landscape architecture student, it is critical to understand how urban space influences human emotions and behaviour. The derive provoked me to question how certain spaces made me feel and why they evoked such emotions. Ultimately, the experience was enjoyable. It allowed me to break away from my everyday routine and briefly escape the stresses of student life. 

Comments

Popular Posts