Completing my Dissertation


I love writing. For me, it is a creative outlet, an opportunity to express my ideas and emotions. However, formal academic writing is not something that comes naturally to me. Over recent months, I have, at times, been engulfed with overwhelming stress and anxiety regarding my dissertation. Every day, I would wake up, open my laptop and feel a wave of dread surge over me. On the most stressful days completing my dissertation seemed inconceivable. Nonetheless, I proved myself wrong. With my dissertation submitted for grading last week, I wanted to take a brief moment to reflect upon the journey and share what I have learnt. 


Focus on today 

When deadlines are looming it is critical to make a plan. For many students, confronting a major project can feel overwhelming. However, breaking down the task into manageable components can alleviate stress. Writing my dissertation has helped me realise the importance of planning realistic daily goals in order to maximise productivity. In the future I must remember to take things one day at a time. When a task feels unachievable small daily achievements are uplifting and encourage a sense of progress. 


It doesn't have to be perfect 

Perfectionism. Regarding my creative and academic endeavours, this is a trait that has always held me back. I am overly self-critical about the work I produce. Writing my dissertation, I would spend hours meticulously re-writing the same paragraph. This is something that has seriously slowed me down. In the future I must learn to have confidence in my work knowing that perfection is unachievable. I must simply strive to produce the best work I can. 


Don't compare your work to others

Writing this, I am compelled to recall Baz Luhrmann’s lyrics, “sometimes you’re ahead and sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and, in the end, it’s only with yourself” (Everybody’s Free to Wear Sunscreen). I frequently compare my work and progress to others and often find that it causes unnecessary stress and anxiety. Writing a dissertation has taught me to focus on my own, individual progress. Not to allow other people’s achievements distract me from my personal goals. 


Worrying is unproductive and a waste of time

“Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due”, a quote from William Inge, the advice given to me from an inspiring lecturer at the University of Gloucestershire. The truth is that worrying is unproductive and a waste of time. Although it is not always easy to erase anxious thoughts, my dissertation has taught me to give them little space, time and energy, in order to maximise productivity. 









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts