Defining My Design Approach


Personal artwork (2019)

In order to find myself as a designer it is important to understand my personal design philosophy. Listed below are three points that define my design approach. These points guide the work that I produce and set out what I wish to accomplish in my professional life as a landscape architect.

Artistic Expression

For me, the landscape is a canvas; artistic expression is critical to the work I produce. In order to prevent homogenous design, it is important to note that every project must be designed individually; regarding the local context, history and culture of the landscape. Personally, I enjoy creating places that convey my own personal style and artistic character. Places that are expressive, emotive and designed sympathetically within the wider surrounding landscape. Throughout history, the most iconic landscape architects have created spaces that convey their artistic style, from Burle Marx to Charles Jencks, this is something I aspire to emulate throughout my future career; to build upon my personal style and create a distinctive brand that is to be remembered. 

Sustainable Design

As outlined in my previous post, sustainable design is essential if we are to adapt our environments to a changing climate. It could be argued that the term ‘sustainability’ has lost its original significance given that it is consistently misappropriated and overused. Nonetheless, I am passionate about design that helps to safeguard our natural environment for future generations. Whether that is using sustainable materials, choosing sustainable construction methods, or using landscape architecture to raise environmental awareness.

Experiential Potential

The experience of place is a key element of landscape architecture. Our personal experience and emotions define how we remember, judge and perceive the landscape around us. Within my work I aim to design places that evoke emotion; places that make people feel. For me, the experience of landscape is critical to my design approach. The places that are remembered the most are those that evoke the deepest emotions. Although this is something I am still aiming to master, I will only learn by visiting gardens, parks and cities, immersing myself in landscape (not only as a designer, but as a user of space), questioning how it makes me feel and understanding why.

Comments

Popular Posts