Furnitecture Bench: Design Development



In order to avoid sterile, homogenous design, it is critical to interpret a deeper understanding of space. During my time at university this is something I have come to value. Finding deeper meaning has become an integral part of my design approach. 

The importance of deeper meaning has been emphasised as an intrinsic element of our design development at Alney Island. Third year students have been encouraged to design an aspirational space based on an in-depth understanding of the sites history, heritage and ecological potential. As previously outlined, my design concept is Woven Ground; inspired by the osier willow, traditionally cultivated on the site for common basket weaving. 

In order to rediscover deeper meaning at Alney Island, we have been tasked with the challenge of designing a furnitecture bench that encapsulates our design concept for the site. Through the creation of this blogpost I hope to convey my design process through a series of concept sketches and development drawings. 


“Weaving involves crossing two threads, the warp and the weft, one vertical the other horizontal, one stretched taught and the other undulating and intertwined with the first”. Dario Valcarenghi, The Art of Weaving a Life

My initial design idea (above) aimed to emulate the warp and the weft; Corten steel beams raising up from the soil, the bench weaving alongside them. The sinuous design aims to mimic the undulating form of woven willow rods as one passes over the other. However, after carefully evaluating the design amongst my teachers and peers, I came to the conclusion that it did not convey what I wanted in a bench. I decided I wanted to create something much more delicate; a piece of furniture that emulated the elegance and subtlety of handcrafted willow basketry. 

I experimented with the idea of creating a screened bench with delicate steel beams that formed a undulating pattern (below). Similar to my initial design idea I felt that this bench failed to reflect the intricacies of weaving. It was rather just an ornamental steel fence with a bench designed upon it! 


Incorporating two interweaving beams, my third design aimed to emulate the warp and the weft (below). Within this design I felt that I was beginning to convey the delicacy of woven willow rods, however, there was still something missing. To me, the bench seemed rather predictable.


After working rather intensely to design a bench encapsulating my concept Woven Ground, I felt disheartened that I was nowhere closer to a finalised design idea. I realised that if I was to truly encapsulate the art of weaving, I must revisit my initial concept. 

Artwork of Charissa Brock, hanging wall work sculpted from bamboo

After scrolling through Pinterest and studying images of woven art, I discovered the contemporary basketry of Charissa Brock (above). Brock’s artwork, although sculpted from bamboo (not willow) inspired me instantaneously. I began to draw a series of conceptual sketches to emulate the woven forms created in her work. 




From these drawings I began to sketch out bench designs. The drawing below displays my final design idea. Although the bench remains a work in progress, the core design will hopefully remain unchanged. Personally I think the design is successful. It clearly emulates Woven Ground without translating the concept too literally. The bench is subtle and delicate. Although partly inspired by the work of others, I feel it conveys both my personal artistic style and the character of the site. 

I am yet to discuss the work with my lecturers and evaluate it amongst my peers, however I am learning to trust my own design process and have confidence in the final outcome. The next step is to create a three-dimensional model, finalise the materiality of the bench and translate the drawing into a series of refined visualisations. 



Comments

Popular Posts