Landscape Visualisations: Hand-Drawn vs Photoshop


For the past few months I have been developing my final year design project, Woven Ground, at a detailed design level. Progressing from a conceptual masterplan in Semester 1, I produced a detailed 1:500 masterplan accompanied by a series of landscape visualisations. My intention was to produce a comprehensive design that considered the spatial and experiential qualities of the site.

Conveying the concept Woven Ground, the masterplan was inspired by the undulating form of woven willow rods. Two interweaving pathways traverse the site; one pathway raised and the other not. The warp and the weft. 

Through a collection of hand-drawn and digitally rendered visualisations I was able to convey my design in 3 dimensions. When considering the site on an experiential level, I wanted to create an atmosphere of suspension and revelation. Visitors will weave through areas of woodland and dense undergrowth before unfolding out onto the water where woven willow statues will emerge from the earth. 

Given my passion for painting, I have enjoyed the process of producing hand-drawn visualisations. These images were sketched and painted by hand however when transferred from paper to screen, the original images lost their vibrancy. Through digital enhancement I was able to create a visually bold and expressive style whilst maintaining the organic quality of the hand-drawn visualisations. 






Presented alongside these hand-drawings, I also produced a series of photoshop-rendered visualisations. Previously lacking confidence in SketchUp, I have often found it challenging to create accurate perspective visualisations using photoshop. Throughout the progression of this semester, my 3D modelling skills have developed immensely. Unsurprisingly, the creation of a detailed SketchUp model has proven immensely valuable! I produced these visualisations by exporting my SketchUp model and rendering it using Photoshop. The aim was not to produce a hyper-realistic landscape visual, but rather to convey the qualities of the space using my personal artistic style. 






Whilst working on this project, I have noticed a significant shift in my personal design approach. In the past I have often noticed myself overly absorbed in a 2 dimensional masterplan, however, throughout this assignment I have become immersed in the narrative of Alney Island. Personally I believe that this has led to a successful design outcome; a final project that I am truly proud of. 

Comments

Popular Posts